Are you searching for best multimeter or multitester?
A Volt-Ohm-Meter is one of the preferred tools by electricians which are used to troubleshoot the electrical problem of electricity.
A multimeter is an electronic instrument that combines many electronic measurement capabilities in one unit.
Typically, multimeters are capable of measuring resistance, voltage, and current.
Multimeter comes in analog or digital form. People today prefer digital multimeters (like Fluke multimeters).
People use multimeters to troubleshoot many electrical problems in power supplies, wiring systems, appliances, and batteries. They can cost anywhere from $10 to thousands of dollars.
For accurate and safe home use, the best multimeter in the $25 range is usually adequate.
Learning how to use a multimeter is a matter of knowing a few basics, and practicing common sense and safety measures. Higher DC voltage ranges, resistance, AC, and current will have lower accuracy.
Some multimeters include a fuse, to prevent overload damage, which will protect the highest current range on the meter.
One common error people make when learning how to use the best multimeter is setting it to measure resistance or current, but connecting it to a low-impedance source of voltage.
Fortunately, meters that can be interfaced with computers have optical isolation that protects the computer (and the operator) from high voltage. Multimeters are rated and placed in categories based on their intended use.
Best multimeter comes in four categories, which are as follows:
- Category I (used with low current levels).
- Category II (for residential branch circuits).
- Category III (for use on distribution panels, appliance outlets, and motors).
- Category IV (for high current levels, such as in main panels, house meters, or service entrances).
All category rated meters have protection from over-current faults.
Table of Contents
- 1 Qualities of Best Multimeter 2018
- 2 Best Multimeter 2018 List
- 3 Mastech MS8268 Auto/ Manual Range Digital Multimeter – Best Multimeter Under 50$
- 4 Fluke 87V True RMS Industrial Digital Multimeter – Editor’s Choice – Best Multimeter 2018
- 5 Fluke 115 Compact True-RMS Digital Multimeter – Best Budget Multimeter
- 6 Fluke 77 Series IV Automotive Digital Multimeter – Best Automotive Multimeter
- 7 INNOVA 3340 Automotive Digital Multimeter – Best Multimeter Under 100$
- 8 Use Of Best Multimeter 2019
- 9 Measurement of Resistance, Voltage, and Current by Best Multimeter
- 10 Learning Tips for Best Multimeter
- 11 Conclusion
Qualities of Best Multimeter 2018
As an individual dealing with electricity, high-quality multimeters will be an essential tool to have. Since they come from a variety of manufacturers, you need to be able to find the ones that will meet the needs of your company.
These tools have proven essential when dealing with electrical currents and help to maintain a level of safety as well.
As we look at some of the options that are available for the different multimeter units on the market, keep in mind that quality was considered over price.
While the price may be a driving factor for some, often you get what you pay for. These items are not ranked in any particular order, so no preference is given to any of the products at all.
Sometimes older equipment can be recalibrated. Multimeters used in critical measurements will need to be periodically recalibrated for continued accuracy.
Thus, looking at all these above features, we designed an ideal list of the best multimeter 2018 which will be under your budget.
|Mastech MS8268||1000 V||10 A|
|Fluke 87V||600 V||20 A|
|Fluke 115||600 V||10 A|
|Fluke 77 Series IV||1000 V||10 A|
|INNOVA 3340||250 V||15 A|
Mastech MS8268 Auto/ Manual Range Digital Multimeter – Best Multimeter Under 50$
It starts with a generous screen that comes with a backlight since there will often be times that the lighting will be limited.
Mastech MS8268 also has safety ratings for both CAT II 1,000 V and CAT III 600V. Best of all, this tool has security features that keep the operator safe and make this best multimeter under $50.
To start with working it, if you find that you accidentally switched the plugs, an alarm with warning screen will pop up.
More importantly, it offers a high level of accuracy and proven performance as well. No doubt, it is a brand you can trust.
- Alternating Current/Direct Current 1000V/10A 200KHz 200uF 40Mohm relative estimation HFE Diode Check Continuity.
- The LED/sound warning is given.
- Auto and manual are running with relative estimation.
- Full over-burden security and double protection insurance.
- Auto control off (could be handicapped).
- Auto control off and low battery sign.
- Blue LED illuminated LCD show.
- Conform to the IEC1010-1 standard CAT III 600V and CAT II 1000V.
- Caution in Sound and light that are inaccurate embeds the information plug.
- Programmed sign of capacities and unit images.
- Full over-burden security and double protection insurance.
- Separable embellishment elastic case, shock-verification, slip confirmation and great touch-feeling.
- Uses three (3) “AAA” batteries.
Fluke 87V True RMS Industrial Digital Multimeter – Editor’s Choice – Best Multimeter 2018
This is one of the top brands you will end up finding. They offer such an instrument that is defined by precision and precision, it provides a superior option to those looking for high-quality trustable results.
One notable feature that will impress many people is the RMS best multimeter offers the ability to give items a consistent and accurate output that typical standard multimeters failed to provide, as most of the conventional multimeters fluctuate in their readings.
It means that no matter how “noisy” the equipment is regarding electricity, you will get the required reading from this multimeter.
You can stick it anywhere that can hold magnets; thanks to the mounting system. No matter what are your overall needs, this multimeter is determined to meet them all.
- One of a kind capacity for exact voltage and recurrence estimations on other uproarious gear.
- Illuminated keypad catches.
- Extensive, 2-level, beautiful white, illuminated show.
- Fluke 87V has a lifetime warranty.
- Simple structured presentation for quick changing or temperamental signs.
- Genuine RMS AC voltage and current for precise estimations of non-straight flags.
- Selectable channel for precise voltage and recurrence estimations on engine drives.
- It recurrence of 200 kHz and % obligation cycle.
- Information Alert gives perceptible cautioning against the wrong utilization of information jacks.
- Enhanced selectable rest mode for long battery life.
- Worked in thermometer advantageously enables you to take temperature readings without carrying a different instrument.
- Colossal digit show with brilliant, two-level backdrop illumination makes it essentially less demanding to peruse.
- Combo pack incorporates uncommon accomplices to make mechanical investigating considerably more profitable.
- Auto and manual are extending from greatest adaptability.
Fluke 115 Compact True-RMS Digital Multimeter – Best Budget Multimeter
Those looking for a more casual approach to the Fluke brand should take note of this best multimeter. While it still offers the power and quality that is expected from this brand, it doesn’t have the sophisticated features that could make it difficult to use for the average individual.
If you are looking for a more compact model, this is a perfect choice. It is significantly smaller than some of its sister products and still offers the main features of this product line.
It includes the backlight display and various mode and consists of both minimum and maximum averages.
More importantly, just because it is compact, doesn’t mean it will give up on your safety.
Since it is a more compact solution, you don’t have to worry about lugging around a standard size unit and instead, you will be able to take the Fluke 115 into narrower spots that can be tricky to use other groups in.
- Auto Ranging.
- Large Backlight Display.
- LCD Screen.
- Perfect RMS.
- Can read 10A continuous Load.
- Diode Tester.
- CATIII 600v safety rated.
- Compact design.
- Auto Power off.
- Low Battery Indicator.
- 9V battery.
- Accurate rating.
Fluke 77 Series IV Automotive Digital Multimeter – Best Automotive Multimeter
It has been designed user-friendly and compact, yet functional, designed for the homeowner looking to handle their repair work.
While you might find there aren’t all the bells and whistles the professional model has, it does contain enough that the average homeowner will be able to put it to use and get the results they need, with minimal investment.
Each of these units has some remarkable features that make them high-quality choices for the individual looking to either learn about multimeters or to do it yourself.
- Three years warranty.
- Build with the excellent quality material.
- CATIII 600V Safety Voltage.
- Non-contact voltage detection.
- Helps in preventing false reading (caused by Ghost Voltage).
- It Accurate measurement of non-linear loads.
- Measures 10A.
- True RMS.
- Large LED display.
- Bright backlight for low lit areas.
- Auto Detect AC/DC voltage.
- Capable of measuring Frequency and Capacitance.
INNOVA 3340 Automotive Digital Multimeter – Best Multimeter Under 100$
The INNOVA 3340 Automotive Digital Multimeter is an excellent multimeter. The expert quality highlights help pinpoint motor issues while the 10 MegOhm impedance anticipates harm to the ECU.
Incorporates a temperature test to gauge the temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. Utilize the inductive get to vehicle RPM (counting curl on plug vehicles). This unit gives sans hands testing and incorporates test lead holders.
Bright Backlight, auto closes off, finished load security, programmed zero alteration and turn around extremity assurance.
The min/max and hold caches spare recovered information, and the tough corner watches give drop assurance.
- Proficient quality highlights help pinpoint motor issues.
- Auto-Ranging, auto stop, over-stack security.
- The unit is UL recorded and includes 10 MegOhm input impedance for the safety car and family employment.
- Incorporates Temperature Probe.
- The multimeter measures inductive RPM pickup and vehicle RPM (counting curls on-plug vehicles).
- 10 MegOhm impedance averts harm to ECU (motor control unit).
- The multimeter measures up to 15 amps for gadget testing.
- Tests alternator diodes, obligation cycle, solenoids, breaker focus, wiring, switches, and that’s only the tip of the iceberg.
Use Of Best Multimeter 2019
The first step to learning how to use the best multimeter is to become familiar with its parts. Digital multimeters, such as a Fluke multimeter will have a digital readout.
A selector knob allows the multimeter to change functions (to measure volts, ohms, amps, etc.) and scale readout (“x1,” “x10,” “x 100″). Voltage, for instance, can have multiple ranges. It is essential to set the scale to the proper range to prevent damage to the meter.
Some meters have the “off” switch on the selector knob, but some have a separate on / off switch altogether. It should always be switched off when it isn’t being used.
The com / minus sign jack is where the black test lead connects, and it is used for almost every type of measurement.
The other jack will be labeled “V” or with a plus sign and omega of volts and ohms. The plus and minus signs stand for the probe polarity when testing DC volts.
The third jack is for performing current tests. The test leads must be connected to the proper jacks and the selector switch must be set to the correct range and test type for the multimeter to function properly and safely.
The best multimeter will also have two test leads, one black, and the other red. The battery and fuse compartments are usually found on the back of the meter but might be on the side.
The battery supplies the power for testing resistance. The fuse protects against voltage overload.
To measure resistance, set the multimeter to “resistance” or “ohms” mode and turn the meter on if it uses a separate power switch. Resistance and continuity are opposites so that continuity can be measured indirectly by measuring resistance.
First, connect the black lead to the “COM” or minus sign jack, then connect the red lead to the omega, or plus sign jack.
Set the range knob to “R x 100.” Then hold the probes at the other end of the test leads together. The meter should read zero.
To learn how to measure the resistance of a working light bulb with the best multimeter, first locate the two electrical contact points on the light bulb: the threaded part, and the middle of the bottom of the base.
Have someone hold the bulb by only the glass. Then touch the black probe against the threaded part and the red probe to the middle of the bottom of the bulb base. The display should read zero.
To learn how to measure voltage using the best multimeter, first set the meter for the highest range provided. Since voltage to be measured is not always known, the most upper range is used so that the meter will not be damaged if the voltage is higher than expected.
For example, if the meter were set on the 50-volt range, and you were to test a normal (U.S.) 120-volt electrical outlet, you could overload the meter and damage it. Start at the highest range, then step down. Use the lowest range that can be displayed safely
Insert the black probe into the “minus” jack and the red probe into the “plus” jack as before. To test a 120-volt electrical outlet, “plug” the black probe into one of the rectangular slots on the electrical outlet.
Then put the red probe into the other slot. At that time, the meter should read 120, or close to it. It is OK to step down to the proper voltage range for 120, and the reading there will be more accurate than on the highest voltage scale.
If the mode is set to DC, a user could mistakenly think that there was no voltage present when there was, and this mistake could be deadly.
If you get a zero voltage reading on a known working voltage source checks the mode. If necessary, set it to AC mode and repeat the test.
It is best to connect one probe in a way that you won’t have to hold both while testing. Some multimeters (such as Fluke multimeters) have special clips or clamps for this purpose.
To learn how to use the best multimeter to measure amps, first determine if the machine is in AC or DC mode and set as appropriate. Set the multimeter to the highest range supported.
It is important to note that if the circuit you are testing is AC, but the meter only measures DC or vice-versa, then stop.
Most home or personal multimeters only measure the very small current amount, in the milliamp and microamp ranges. These are present values that flow in miniature electronic circuits.
It is several orders of magnitude smaller than the automotive or home circuits that people may want to test.
As an example, a 100 watt light bulb connected to a 120-volt outlet draws 0.833 amps, which would probably damage and even ruin a home multimeter. It would be better to use a clamp on ammeter, which does not require opening the circuit.
To test a 9 volt DC, 4700-ohm resistor circuit, insert the black probe into the minus jack as before. But insert the red probe into the “A” (amps) jack.
Cut off power to the circuit. Open the part of the circuit you want to test: one lead or the other of the resistor.
Next, insert the meter such that it completes the circuit (in series). An ammeter can’t be placed across a circuit like you would use a voltmeter, or else the meter can be damaged.
Choose the range of current that is highest. Next, apply power and step down through the ranges to get the most accurate reading on the dial. You should see a reading of approximately two milliamps since current is equal to volts divided by ohms, which in this case is just under two milliamps.
Learning Tips for Best Multimeter
When using a multimeter, mainly when learning how to use the best multimeter, check the meter on a known working voltage source to ensure that it is working correctly.
Never connect the meter across a battery or other source of voltage to measure current. It will ruin the meter, possibly making it explode.
The most critical step in learning how to use the best multimeter is to realize how dangerous electricity is. If you don’t understand something, look it up or ask a knowledgeable source before using a multimeter.
Multimeters come in different styles and categories, Some of them are commonly used in our routine life but some others models are used for the commercial and professional purpose. In this article, we review the best multimeter which is available in the market and all the features which are discussed here will help you to select the best one.
Now you know the all the features of the best multimeter, it helps you a lot to buy the best budget multimer from the above-reviewed multimeters.
Let us know if you have any question, feel free to ask via comments about best multimeter.